Major Land Development Project & Related Experience
(sample projects 2004 - 2020)
- Stonehaven at Rockingham South: Approved rezoning application for Arnaout Investments Inc, (Azmi Arnaout) to increase density from as-of-right 13 duplexes to 100+ apartment building & 10 townhouses.
- Major SWOTT Analysis for Tzur Cohen for Acquisition for 26 acre Halifax Harbour front property known as Bluestone (off Purcell’s Cove Road). KWRA detailed SWOTT reviewed all HRM municipal planning and other regulations, market conditions, ROI, site development costs and density. KWR Approvals was able to obtain exception to allow for four residential lots versus one which will result in the construction of luxury homes with Harbour Views.
Acadia First Nation
Phase 2 & 3 SWOTT Analysis to demolish the former Ox Bow Motel and review development options for this 12 acre property at 31 South Loop Road, Shelburne County. In addition to the SWOTT analysis KWRA managed the RFP/tender process for demolition/environmental clean up of site and the actual demolition itself.
- Phase 2 & 3 SWOTT Analysis to create approved driveway access onto the Hammonds Plains Road for a new First Nation Business Centre & Gas Bar at demolish the former Ox Bow Motel and review development options for this 12 acre property at 1704 Hammonds Plains Road HRM.
- Pathos Properties (Nick Stappas) Site Specific Planning Amendment to HRM to permit an 8 Storey 55 units Affordable Housing Development known as Rockwinds on the Basin, 205 Bedford Highway, HRM.
- HRM Site Specific Planning Amendment to redevelop Four parcel land assembly off Mcpherson Road, Lake Fletcher, Fall River to permit 16 townhouses for LawDia Developments.
- Halifax Port Authority, HRM: Working with Colliers Project Leaders, KWR Approvals Inc. provided a detailed report entitled ‘Forecasted Development Trends Impact on HPA Fairview Cove Sequestration Facility 2018 – 2023’.
- Development Agreement application to redevelop 3124 & 3136 Highway No. 2, Fall River for 18 townhouse development (John & Judith MacDonald).
- Stonewater Homes (Ryan MacNeil). Approved HRM application to create an 8 lot commercial business park off Perrin Drive, Fall River known as Fall River Business Park.
- SWOTT Analysis for Re-development potential of Mohammad Alassad’s property at 6 Hamshaw Drive, Kearney Lake, HRM
- Site Specific Planning Amendment (SSPA) to create a 60 unit 55+ Transitional Home Community in Ketch Harbour, HRM, N.S. known as Forever Green Estates.
- Development Agreement application for a six unit Townhouse development at 4 Lakeview Drive, Waverley, HRM, N.S.
- Substantial amendment to Existing Development to 16 unit Apartment Building at 11 Osprey Lake, Shad Bay to conform to existing HRM By-laws.
- SWOTT Analysis on approved development agreement for 169 Wyse Road to permit a 6 Storey Apartment Building.
- SWOTT analysis and managed successful purchase of 574 Herring Cove Road for Vanguard Developments Inc.
- Successful HRM permit application for Dawn Realty Limited to establish a Cannabis Production Facility at 131 Thornhill Drive, Burnside Industrial Park.
- SWOTT Analysis for Nova Trucking Enterprises to review redevelopment potential of their Property off Parkway Drive, Truro Heights in Truro.
- Affordable Housing Multiple Family Dwelling Study for Pathos Properties for 205 Bedford Highway.
- SWOTT analysis for Milestone Properties (Mark Bergman) to achieve more density for existing approved development agreement at 8 Linden Lea, Dartmouth, HRM.
- SWOTT analysis on redevelopment potential for Mic Mac Tavern in Dartmouth.
- Letter of Planning Opinion to HRM on redevelopment potential of 6237 & 6239 Watt Street for Mark Woolaver.
- SWOTT Review & Analysis for 1216 Bedford Highway/Fourth Street, Bedford Land Assembly: KWR Approvals Inc. discovered MPS enabling policy that allowed client to achieve a commercial/residential Phase 1 for project on Bedford Highway and a residential mutli-family building only at rear (Phase 2) by development agreement.
- SWOTT/ROI/Market analysis for Acadia First Nations for land review near Mariner Centre in Yarmouth.
- Minor Variance application for Blake Thompson 1541 Edwards Street, HRM to achieve additional unit for his income property.
- SWOTT/ROI/Market analysis for Brad & Murray McIsaac SWOTT regarding their 85 acre parcel in Lucasville, HRM. KWR Approvals Inc. discovered errors in site concept design that saved clients over $100,000+ in proceeding with this approach.
- Letter of Planning Opinion review for Lake Loon Golf Course Re-development, Dartmouth (Brian McKenzie)
- Letter of Planning Opinion review for 37 Dakin Drive, Wentworth, HRM (Clarke Wilkins)
- SWOTT/ROI/Market analysis for John and Judith McDonald to re-develop their 3124 & 3136 Highway No. 2 Property (6.35 acres) with a 50+/- unit residential development.
- Three (3) SWOTT/ROI/Market analysis for Mark Bergman (Milestone Properties) for Sackville, Lower Sackville and Windmill Road properties.
- By-law Enforcement assistance and Minor Variance application for 6237/6239 Watt Street, HRM to go from 8 to 10 bedrooms. KWR Approvals Inc. successfully resolved the by-law enforcement issue for client with no costs for him.
- Letter of Planning Opinion to review options to construct develop three dwellings on two properties in the Conservation Floodplain zone, Rosewood Avenue, Timberlea (John Benjamin). KWR Approvals Inc. was able to discover an MPS policy section that would allow residential development on one of the conservation zoned lots as-of-right and is working on the other one.
- Letter of Planning Opinion on re-development potential of large land assembly surrounding Mic Mac Tavern property in Waverley, Dartmouth.
- MPS Amendment/Development Agreement application for increasing height (5 to 8 stories) and density (33 to 60 units) of 205 Bedford Highway, Rockingham, HRM (Nick Stappas, Pathos Properties)
- Development Agreement application for 4 Lakewood Avenue Waverley application to replace single family home on property with 11 townhouses (Rob Lough). KWR Approvals Inc. discovered obscure MPS policy criteria that would permit redevelopment of this single family lot to medium density with up to 11 townhouses.
- SWOTT/Market/ROI analyses of Windsor Street Land Assembly, HRM (Steve Haysom)
- Development Agreement application to redevelop 22.96 acre parcel at 1246 Ketch Harbour Road from current raw land to 60 unit residential subdivision (Forever Green Estates Inc.)
- Approved Rezoning Application for 1818 Shore Road, Eastern Passage, HRM to convert 5 acre property with existing single family dwelling to a mixed use development known as Blue Ocean Estates consisting of combination of 17 single family dwellings and 14 semi-detached dwellings (31 residential units). Client is Vanguard Developments.
(2004 - 2016)
- SWOTT Analysis & Negotiations with HRM to acquire a Strategic parcel of land for the Steele Auto Group, Halifax, HRM
- SWOTT-ROI-Market & Development Options Analysis for 24 Gephardt Street, Fairview, HRM
- SWOTT-ROI-Market & Development Options Analysis for Four (4) Parcel Land Assembly along Rosley Road, Beaverbank, HRM
- Planning Fact Sheet Analysis for 64 Metropolitan Avenue, Lower Sackville, HRM
- SWOTT-ROI-Market & Development Options Analysis for 168 & 170 Main Street, Dartmouth, HRM
- SWOTT-ROI-Market & Development Options Analysis for 231 & 233 Pleasant Street, Dartmouth, HRM
- SWOTT-ROI-Market Analysis Review of Two Parcels at the corner of Sackville Drive and Hillcrest Avenue, Sackville, HRM, Nova Scotia
- SWOTT/ROI/Market Analysis for Cape Smokey Investments Ltd
- SWOTT/ROI/Market Analysis for Skyhawk Realty Investments Inc.
- 959 Cole Harbour Road Development Agreement, HRM, Nova Scotia
- SWOTT/ROI/Market Analysis and Preliminary Subdivision Review for Fred Davis
- RFP Submission to Prince Edward Island Government for Potential Leasing and or Entering into Management Agreement for Four Provincially Owned Golf Courses
- SWOTT/ROI/Market Analysis for Castle Hill Capital Inc. for Re-development Potential of a 212 Acre Three Parcel Land Assembly near Bissett Lake, HRM
- SWOTT/ROI/Market Analysis for Purchase of Two (2) Twelve Storey Multiple-Family Sites off Larry Uteck, Bedford South, HRM
- SWOTT/ROI/Market Analysis for Ken Smith for Re-development Potential of 1630 Caldwell Road, Dartmouth, HRM
- SWOTT/ROI/Market Analysis of Hammond Plains property for Brighton Homes (2010) Inc.
- Re-Development of Residential Block consisting of Fourth Street and 1216 Bedford Highway, by Development Agreement, Bedford (ongoing)
- 57 lot bare land condominium development on Lands of Andrew Gilbert in Beaverbank, HRM (ongoing)
- Monaco Investments Appeal to the Utility & Review Board (URB) for Prince Albert Road development agreement.
- Alpine Courtyard Subdivision, Bedford, Nova Scotia
- SWOTT/ROI Analysis for Three Properties & Buildings in Pictou, Nova Scotia
- Senior Advisor to Client for Alpine Court Road Paving, Bedford, Nova Scotia
- Review of liquor licensing requirements for Finbar’s Restaurant in Portland Hills
- SWOTT/ROI Analysis for K & M Bedford Ltd for Maynard Street land assembly, HRM
- SWOTT/ROI Analysis for 20 Acre Un-Serviced Property in Purchell’s Cove, HRM
- SWOTT/ROI Analysis for re-development potential of downtown Kentville property for Fred Perry
- Minor Variance Review for 2696 Bell Terrace, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- SWOTT/ROI Analysis for Mixed Use Residential Development at 370 Caldwell Road, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- SWOTT/ROI Analysis for Dill Property, Windsor, Nova Scotia
- Four Mile Lane Variance Appeal Application to Chebucto Community Council, HRM, Nova Scotia
- Wilson Fuel Co. Limited – Appeal to the Refusal to Rezone and permit a Drive Thru Food Service at the Esso Gas Station Service Site, 2301 Milford (East Hants)
- Prepared submission package for United Gulf Developments Request for Expression of Interest (REI) by Province of Nova Scotia to Sell their Signature Resorts (Keltic Lodge Resort and Spa, Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa and Liscombe Lodge Resort and Conference Centre)
- SWOTT/ROI Analysis for development potential of 100 acre land parcel for Dave Roberts
- Managing development agreement and public participations for Vanguard Development ofUnion Court RCDD Development Agreement, Bedford, Nova Scotia (ongoing)
- 5516 Stairs Street Variance Application, Hydrostone, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Area 11 Bedford West & Kearney Lake Sewer & Water Review, HRM, Nova Scotia
- Managing development agreement application for The Meadow Transformational Center for Women, Cole Harbour, Dartmouth, N.S.
- Review of Development potential for Currie Property, Hubley, Nova Scotia
- Managed development agreement application for Atlantic Developments Ltd. for Long Lake Village Master Plan Community, Armdale, Nova Scotia
- Review of Dartmouth Crossing residential potential for Ron Richards & Associates, Dartmouth Crossing Business Park, Nova Scotia
- Negotiated land issue for Killiam Properties known as Cleveland Negotiations, Armdale, Nova Scotia
- Awarded consulting contract as Director of Venues & Operations, Halifax Bid for 2014 Commonwealth Games, Halifax, International BID
- Managed development agreement to expand parking lot of Bruce Chevrolet General Motors, Middleton, Nova Scotia
- Prepared detailed SWOTT/ROI Analysis for Nouvelle Investment Cooperative Group Ltd, Porters Lake Land Assembly, Nova Scotia
- Managed Cresco’s Bedford West Master Planned Community, Bedford & Hammonds Plains, N.S., CDD approval with HRM
- Prepared development options report for Walker Property, Chester, Nova Scotia
- Managed the approval of Voyageur Equestrian Master Planned Community, Hammonds Plains, N.S., development agreement application to HRM
- Managed and prepared the successful RFP applications to acquire former Halifax West High School site (Fairview, HRM), Sister of Charity & Motherhouse 65 acre land assembly (Rockingham, HRM) and purchase of China Town Restaurant (Birch Cove, Halifax)
Major Management & Business Operational Reviews and Audits
- Symcor, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Wins Prestigious 2010 HP-IAPP Privacy Innovation Award
- The Meadow – Learning Center for Business Women
- Urban Development Institute (UDI) of Nova Scotia Operational Review
- Municipality of East Hants Y2K Audit, Milford, Nova Scotia
- Municipality of East Hants Planning & Development Department Operational Review
- Maritime Diesel Maintenance Limited (MDML) Start Up Plan, Halifax, N.S.
Major Research & Government Regulatory Reviews
- Municipality of East Hants Community Plan
- East Hants Planning Review Survey Results Report Entitled `The Road Ahead`
- East Hants Socio-Economic Study
- Browning Ferris Industries (BFI) Land Fill Proposal, East Hants
- Town of Bridgetown Trade Market Analysis & Five-Year Development Strategy
- Annapolis County Socio-Economic Study, Nova Scotia