Kevin W. Riles Bio
For over three decades, Kevin W. Riles has been actively involved in the land development, municipal planning & government approvals, real estate and business community. During his career Kevin has senior management experience in land development, municipal planning & government approvals, real estate, running businesses and corporate firms, project management, public speaking and business coaching. He has successfully managed over 1257 projects.
As a former Municipal Director of Planning and Development, he was privy to direct and detailed interactions with senior municipal and provincial political leaders, government staff, agencies, special interest and community groups, lobbyists and a variety of private industries. This gave him a distinct appreciation of how government and the land development approval process works and being successful within it. As a former Vice President of one of the largest land development firms in the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM), he faced daily the dynamics and challenges of the many complex business decisions required to run a land development and real estate firm. As a management, land development, business and real estate consultant; he has direct experience in utilizing a company's resources and outside experts to leverage optimum results. Finally, as an entrepreneur who founded, owns and runs three businesses, Kevin is known for the ability to think outside the box and be creative in solving his clients' challenges or achieving their goals. He graduated from Dalhousie University with a Bachelor of Arts Degree, Nova Scotia College of Geographic Sciences with a Diploma in Urban Planning and Henson College with a Local Government Administration Diploma. He is Past Chairman of the Urban Development Institute of Nova Scotia (UDI) and Canada which represents the Development Community in Nova Scotia and Canada.
During his career he has won several awards and commendations that recognize his contribution to the field of planning, development and the community he lives. They include:
- Prestigious Honour Award of Excellence from the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) for Managing Corridor Region (East Hants) Long Term Development Plan (1999)
- Halifax Regional Municipality Certificate for Volunteer Services (2003)
- Halifax Regional Municipality Mayors Certificate of Appreciation for Dedication and Committment to the Municipality (2003)
- Halifax Regional Municipality’s Mayors Certificate for Outstanding Contribution to the Community (2007)
- Urban Development Institute of Nova Scotia’s Certificate for Outstanding Service as President of UDI from 2004-2007 (2007)
- Nova Scotia Provincial Legislature Resolution No. 1714 for Outstanding Contribution to the Development Industry and Future Growth of HRM in 2007
Most importantly for Kevin is giving back to the community he grew up in, lives and work. He is past member and Chair of the following organizations.
- Habitat For Humanity Nova Scotia (Current Board Member)
- Bedford Youth Development Agency (Past Board Member)
- CNIB – Nova Scotia and PEI (Past Board Member)
- Urban Development Institute of Nova Scotia representing Development Community (Chairman, 2004-2007)
- Urban Development Institute of Canada representing Development Industry in Canada (Chairman, 2007-2008)
- Developers Representative on HRM’s Regional Planning Committee (2004-2007) and HRMbyDesign
Kevin is a results-oriented leader with a talent for discovering opportunities, averting major problems and leveraging competitive advantages. His outstanding organizational skills, ability to see the ‘bigger picture’, entrepreneurial and business experience and knack for putting a complex project and/or deal together allows him to be a trusted professional by your side to ensure your business vision and dream. He is relentless at protecting his clients' interest at all times and achieving a successful project/result for them.